One Word for 2020, and the Upcoming Decade

Ten days until the end of the decade, and I am getting ready to reveal my #OneWord for 2020. Although this time, I will also talk about how the past decade has shaped me all the way to now.

At the start of the decade, I lived through the heydays of Facebook and Twitter. I was in middle school trying to get my start in music through covers of popular songs. But then I realized a key part of copyright. Then I tried to get my comedic chops going and it did not work out either. As of today, my YouTube channel sits empty. Then, Vine came along my high school days. Humor dominated my junior and senior years of high school. If you haven't heard of Vine, it was basically a six second version of TikTok minus the lip-syncing. 

In music, I gradually went from listening to pop, hip hop, and country to rock, punk, and metal with some hip hop sprinkled in. Contemporary Christian music also was a part of my playlist in some moments. That was a snapshot of my life over the past ten years. 

Also, my grandfather passed away at the start of the decade. It was a trying time for me. You can never get over losing a loved one, but managing your grief gets easier through time. I hope he is proud of what I've accomplished over the past decade as I graduated high school and college. That aided my gradual shift in musical tastes. 

2014-15, my senior year of high school, was when I reached my peak in school. Sure, it was a tough year, but I did have some great memories of state FBLA convention as well as Kentucky Junior Historical Society state competition. I won $250 in scholarship money from former Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes for discussing Kentucky history. I focused on Henry Clay. That was one of my proudest moments. I auditioned for Union Harmony at the end of my senior year of high school and made it in as a freshman. It's rare to make it to Union Harmony as a freshman, but it has happened before. 

The last few years were some of the hardest years I've ever faced. Sure, I wrote more, but it was the journey into my own self-discovery that made the difference. Coincidentally, I started doing One Word in 2018. 2018 was not a perfect year, but 2019 was when I made my stride. Responsibility took a weight off of my shoulders. 

As I'm about to enter 2020, I not only look at the time I had fondly, but also, with some lessons to take into the next decade of my life. 

And so, my one word for 2020 -- revival. I'm looking at 2020 for some new beginnings and a rebirth. A do-over of sorts. I'm going into this next year with a renewed focus and intentionality in my writing as well as my interpersonal relationships. It is a renewed surge of creativity I've never had before. So I am taking advantage of the time I now have and will put it into good use. Who knows where God will lead me next?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Semester Soon Arrives!

First Two Years, Summarized

Unmasked