Closing Doors

This blog post is an important one for me to write. It has gotten apparent that my twenty-fourth birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I, yet again, have put myself in the crossroads of life. My devotional readings as well as my prayer time revealed revival as a #OneWord for 2020. But wait, there's more. One of the other words I've considered is grit. Grit definitely ties into responsibility. And one of the many gripping things I've wrestled with in the past few years is that while the Lord closes doors in order to protect us, we have to sacrifice our own comfort and safety to follow the path that the Lord has for us. I think now is the most important time to recognize that God  usually does not put you in the most comfortable or closest school or path.

We're not meant to be comfortable. We're not meant to be secure. We're meant to get out of our comfort zone. I think that's the most important value of all. At the end of the day, our own closed doors serve as a reminder. I've had several closed doors in my school experience. Academic team doors were closed until I finally made the team sophomore year of high school. It wasn't easy, but I didn't give up. The doors closed for honors choir until I joined the sixth grade choir. The door closed for student council, but I did yearbook instead in eighth grade and since returned to student council freshman year. These instances were more like delayed doors. The doors that were closed are still closed. For example, I did not get into Student Ambassadors freshman year. I did not get into the teacher education program after sophomore year. I attended Union College, one where many of my high school classmates overlooked due to it being small, expensive, and too close to home. I went initially for being a legacy student and for the education program. Yet, the college major wasn't the path or right fit for me. For a year and a half, I struggled with the question of wanting to transfer schools even though I stayed at Union at the end of it all.

I knew some of my peers transferred schools during their college experience. For example, I knew many stories where people transferred from UK/UofL to EKU. Others transferred to the school I went to for four years. Others transferred from a private college/university to a state school. Others transferred back and forth. Others simply dropped out. Yet, we are all figuring ourselves out as time goes on.

But maybe, just once, I would want to know what it's like to close that door after reaching some clarity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Semester Soon Arrives!

First Two Years, Summarized

Unmasked