Six Years Later

The last thing I ever thought about was entering the legal profession. No illusion this time.

There. I said it. My first post confirming that I am applying to law school for the fall 2020 semester, LSAT notwithstanding. How did I get from a confused former education major to a graduate with an English degree taking that step and having that step confirmed?

It was that fateful day before I left for Georgia with my classmates taking the Flannery O'Connor night course at Union. I was near the Writing Center at Centennial Hall and I remembered blurting out: "I want to go to law school." Without a single thought, panic set in. Instead of unconditional support from my friends and colleagues, I got concerning remarks. They made many reasons why I needed to back out of law school -- one example was an unnamed female lawyer with an alcohol problem. Another reason was the textbooks. All the mounting dread started to cave in and I thought, "Am I making a huge mistake?"

At Union College's English department, the unstated assumption was that you go to grad school to be either a college professor or a writer/editor/publisher. At least that's what it seemed. Then I took classes in the communications department. My lowest grades at Union were presentations, and my highest grades were the more creative assignments (ex. Ye Olde Puppet Show from Early Modern Lit. Yep, that took days of paper bag puppet making, filming, and editing). That was the general trend until I took Digital Career Management when I did a group presentation on a podcasting creative agency project. It got the highest score out of all the groups. I guess, the more niche, the better. Got my LinkedIn set up, and the rest is history. 

I toured the newly renovated University of Kentucky J. David Rosenberg College of Law (new long name for UK Law) last Friday. I remember thinking, it was huge. I saw lockers. I saw what the small courtroom looked like, as well as a glimpse of the large courtroom. I saw lockers. I saw a closed Common Grounds on the second floor. Common Grounds is a coffee shop in Lexington, and there are five of them located throughout the University of Kentucky campus. But nonetheless, something about the place brought excitement. Something felt new. 

I'll be sharing more about the admissions and law school process as I prepare for next year. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Two Years, Summarized

Living Like a College Student, Overdue

Two Years Later and Law School Bound