What I think about Christmas (or Xmas)

After months of tears, torture, and an endless amount of sleepless nights, it's finally Christmas break. My last Christmas break as a high school student! I can now say that there is one more semester left before I can toss my cap in the air.

But enough of all the senior year shenanigans. I can now talk about Christmas! To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with people calling it X-mas. Now before you get upset at me for falling into the secular attempt to remove Christ out of Christmas, let's just say that the abbreviation of Xmas for Christmas is neither modern nor that it is disrespectful. 

There is no 'X' in Christmas. Although we all see the English letter X, what it actually involves is the first letter of the Greek name for Christ. Christos is the New Testament Greek for Christ. The first letter of the Greek word Christos is transliterated into the English alphabet as simply the letter 'X'. The letter X has been associated with a long history of the Christian church. People, stop with the misconceptions! 

Christmas is a time to spend time with family and friends. It's the time to celebrate Jesus's birth. It's the time to give not expecting to recieve in return. And most of all it's a time to relax and reflect on what's to come. Life is short and there are many reasons for this season of joy and gladness! 

May you all have the Merriest of Christmases and the Happiest of New Years! 
~Jessica~


Comments

  1. Hello Jessica. so good to know you through your profile on the blogger and the post. Though your blog post is not recent one but I trust that you will visit your blog post and read my comment. I am glad to stop by your blog post about Christmas. This gives me an opportunity to share with you the program our church in MUMBAI, INIDA has for the young and adults from West. I am in the Pastoral ministry in this great city for last 35yrs a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. we also encourage young people and the adults from the Wet to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is : dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking foreward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Semester Soon Arrives!

First Two Years, Summarized

Unmasked